The days following Hudson's birth were truly heavenly. Bringing him home just felt so natural, like he had always been with us. I was just on cloud nine with all of the round-the-clock snuggles, the well wishes from loved ones, and that amazing newborn smell about him. I was so very smitten.
I love the way newborns look all over at the world and respond oh-so-slightly to voices. He already looked to me with so much trust. Hudson loved to eat and eat. He just couldn't get enough, and it was pretty exhausting.
I titled this post, "The Honeymoon Phase," because this is what my mother-in-law calls the first few weeks of a newborn's life when he sleeps a lot. I also think this expression was especially true for us because Emme seemed to be adjusting like a pro. I was also feeling pretty capable. She wore her dress ups and ate whatever, whenever. I just let it all slide and tried to do it with a smile.
Emme was a little bit rough with Hudson, but she didn't seem to resent him at all. In the weeks following, she became more difficult to entertain and more resentful of Hudson taking up so much of my attention. In the first week or so, I thought we might have dodged a bullet with adjusting, but there were still some minor bumps ahead.
This sweet boy. I just sat and looked at him all day, and I still do. I remember the second night we were home, I had this emotional high all of the sudden as I bounce him up and down while I was pacing around our room trying to calm him down. "We have a son! We have a son!" I kept saying. I could see in Shaye's eyes that he shared the same joy. I just couldn't get over how handsome and sweet he was. He looks so much like his daddy and has my family's almond shape eyes. Such a dreamy little guy.
I think because we live in a neighborhood with mostly older kids, our neighbors were exceptionally excited about Hudson's arrival. It seems like every few days for the first month of his life someone showed up with a gift. I received many texts of other moms checking in on me. We are also lucky enough to call Skyler and Jamie neighbors. They live about a 2 minute drive away. Shayden and Landon play so well with Emme and are so tender with Hudsie.
Having him meet Grandma Hirschi was a special moment. We are so blessed to still have her with us. She is the sweetest woman and especially lights up when she sees my kids.
I'll always treasure these photos. Something about seeing them together, snuggled up in our bed just made my heart want to burst.












0 comments:
Post a Comment