A Holly Jolly Christmas {2014}

Christmas Eve seems to have come entirely too fast. I think there is such a different feeling about the holidays as a young mom. Every day is truly magical in its own way that I don't look forward to holidays in the same way that I used to. And then there's the hustle and bustle of getting everything ready. Moms have all the stress, it seems.

We hosted Shaye's family for Christmas Eve at our house this year. It was an absolute blast, but when we had 30 people in our kitchen all wanting to eat, I thought I might go a little nuts. I am trying to get better at hosting. Since that night, we've hosted a few more times, and I'm trying to learn how to juggle all the moving parts.

We had a sweet little program with the kids. Dan brought in a huge box wrapped like a present. When the kids opened it, there was a tiny manger with baby Jesus in it inside. Despite the craziness of the season, I truly did feel of the Savior's love. I think the season was especially meaningful for me because I was feeling so aware of all my many shortcomings, and how He loves me through all of them.


 

The most fun thing about Christmas Eve was having Hudson and Parker together. I have a feeling we'll have a large collection of photos of them throughout their lives. When we took these photos, there must have been a dozen people with iPhones out. I love how Parker looks like he's giving Hudson a little kiss in this shot. He was really just munching on the side of his face. What a blessing for these two to be little buddies and less than 24 hours apart.

Right before Christmas, I got these burlap stockings done. I felt relieved to have completed my first sewing project since baby Hudson. I get this weird claustrophobic feeling when I don't craft for too long.


 Once everyone left, the typical Christmas magic overcame our home. I love these photos I snapped with them by the Christmas tree. Emme was able to grasp the concept of Santa this year, and we kept reminding her that he might come and bring her an Elsa dress. I tucked Emme in, who was exhausted from playing with her older girl cousins, and prepared for Santa to come.



Christmas morning was a bit of a shuffle because Brad was calling us from Brazil a little bit early, before brunch. There's something so fitting about a missionary calling on Christmas. These past two years, the presents have most definitely been secondary to the excitement of being all together as a family. Brad talked to Emme, who was wearing her Elsa dress by then, and told her "You're my princess." This is a phrase she would not soon forget. Brad got to meet Hudson too, which was a priceless moment.

We had brunch with Papa Joe and Irene, and Grandma and Grandpa Porritt and opened presents. Emme was spoiled, of course, as were Shaye and I. It was a wonderful holiday, and I felt like the emphasis was much more on my family than on the commercial nature of the day.



Santa's gift to Emme ended up being quite the hit. In fact, I think that we can divide the last little while into two eras: before the Elsa dress and after. Since she has received this dress, it has been a constant struggle to get her to take it off. She feels so beautiful and magical in these dress-ups, but she has an absolute come apart if anything ever happens to them. She was interested in "Let it Go" before, but since the dress, Frozen has become a downright obsession.


Christmas night Emme dressed up Shaye. He loves to entertain her, often at his own expense. 

Christmas 2014 was truly magical. I can't get over as an adult how fun it is to see the holidays through my kid's eyes. I'm also continually reminded of how very blessed I am. I try to hold onto these blessings and bring happiness into other's lives as so many do for me. 

0 comments: