June 12, 2014 was a special day. Not only was it Shaye's 30th birthday, but it was the day I became 16 weeks along and could, thus, have my gender check appointment. It made for a rather exciting milestone birthday, and I knew I would have to carry on my tradition of making a gender reveal cake.
Coming up to this appointment was so interesting for me. I felt like this second pregnancy was a boy, but I had also been SURE Emme was a boy, so I had learned not to trust my instincts. I can honestly say that I didn't care about the gender either way. I knew that if we had another girl, Emme would have a sister close to her age, and that would be wonderful. I knew that if we had a boy that this would also be a great blessing, and it would perhaps take a bit of pressure off of us if we were never able to conceive again.
The appointment went great. The baby didn't want to cooperate at first, but soon the technician said confidently that it was a boy. I felt this overwhelming joy at the realization that we would have a girl and a boy. One of each! Since I was a young child, my mom had sensed my future son watching over me, and so I had always felt connected to having a son. When we knew it was a boy, this connection began to grow exponentially.
I was so excited to let my family know, and I made this white cake with marzipan lattice. I told them that if we were having a girl, there would be raspberries inside, and if we were having a boy there would be blueberries.
We cut open the cake and everyone cheered! I'll never forget the birthday that Shaye learned he would have a SON.



0 comments:
Post a Comment