Dresden's Homecoming


The weeks following the Brussel's airport bombings by ISIS were tense for us. I just felt heartsick for my sweet cousin, and I knew that Court and Amber must have been having such a hard time. I started to think about each of my cousins, some of which I maybe hadn't fostered the most meaningful connections with, but I would be so heartbroken to lose any of them. The tragedy of this situation reminded me of how deep our ties are, not only in our immediate families, but in our extended families as well.

The details unfolded in the news and we soon knew how close he was to the suitcase full of nails that the terrorists blew up. He saw terrible carnage around him, but managed to give two other missionaries blessings and help many other people who were there before he himself was treated.

The day Dresden returned home after being treated in Brussels and then in Salt Lake was a momentous occasion. It was so touching to see so many from the community there to support him. The whole street was decked out in the Belgian colors.







 When Dres got our of the car, I was amazed at his humility and lightheartedness. He's just a good, sweet kid. He went through something just awful and his shrapnel wounds and burns will always be a reminder of this tragedy, but he has chosen to look at the good.

Vive la France!


When I'm in crisis mode sometimes making something is my only real comfort. I made this geometric quilt with the Belgium flag on the front and French flag on the back. Both were countries Dres served in. Love my cousin and so glad his life was spared.

0 comments: