I've known Caitlin since 1st grade. She didn't talk much for years. So even when we were in the same classes, I didn't know her well. Then in 8th grade one day we started talking. In 9th grade she became my closest friend and put up with my boycrazy, moody behavior for years. She was my anchor-friend. When we graduated, we both went up to BYU. Whenever I saw her, it was pure comfort. Through the years we've had inside jokes and funny rituals. A few years after I got married, she served a mission in Kansas. I missed her so much, but was so proud of what amazing work she was doing. I have also felt proud as she has developed an amazing career in Library Science and now works for the top library database in the country, ILLIAD.
The last few years have been hard for Cakey, and it was hard for me to see her go through these things, but I was also amazed at how much more open, kind, and spiritual she became as a result. I was overjoyed when she told me about Josh, and even happier the day she came over and flashed her ring at me. Pure joy for her!
We had a little Bachelorette party for Caitlin the night before her wedding. I was a little shocked at how much fun my long-married friends had buying her naughty lingerie. (I'm the grandma-like friend who made her the quilt--haha!) Hudson was the closest thing this party had to a male stripper--thank goodness!
Her day was just magical and I couldn't stop crying. I was reminded over and over of the faithful and wonderful person she has always been and how she has had to wait a bit longer than I had to for her "happy ending" of sorts--which is really a beginning. Her sealing was beautiful and reminded me of some special truths: that we emphasize Adam and Eve in the temple so much because theirs is the story of receiving the atonement, that we are sealed over an altar because marriage requires the sacrifice of a broken heart and contrite spirit, and that women should not be subordinate to or superior to men but should rather work together with their spouses--both should just be moving closer to Christ together. The thoughts of that day have really stayed with me.
The celebrations of the day were just beautiful! From her nautical-themed luncheon at Cliffside on the black hill to WaffleLuv catering their reception to her fabulous dress! I loved catching up with Jourdan a bit and just loved the overall comfort of my best friend on the best day of her life. I kept realizing that she has worn a new smile since she's known Josh. It makes me tear up even now. It's like she didn't know how to smile fully until she met him. It just touches my heart. So so happy for her!






0 comments:
Post a Comment