You would think I would grow accustomed to my kids. I mean, I am with them nearly all of the time. But, the truth is, I don't. One of them will flash me a smile, or giggle, or make a face, and I just can't stand how beautiful they are and how much I love them. I just want to take a freeze frame of so many moments each day. I know someday I will look back on these days with extreme fondness and nostalgia, and so I just try to savor all of their little expressions.
Little Hudsie. He has this light and love in his eyes for me. I think he's got a pure little soul in there. His blue eyes radiate a sincere excitement and gratitude to be here.
His many expressions. First, He's got this smolder when he's in a relaxed expression. I love how his chunky cheeks look so squishable. Second, he really thinks I'm hilarious. When I bounce him and when I kiss on him and sing to him he squeals and belly laughs and smiles widely. Third, he really loves his hands. He tries to fit his whole fist in there often. Fourth, he has this darling pumpkin eye expression that reminds me of his daddy. Such a sweetheart!
Oh Emmeline! My girl is never short on expression. So often I can just see joy and wonder and pure spunk in her features. She's my vibrant little firecracker. I am always hoping that I can enhance her qualities and never get in the way of who she really is.
First, that look of mischief. I see it often. More often than I would like, sometimes. I can see that she's up to something sneaky, but she looks so darn cute doing it that I get a real kick out of her naughtiness--just for a second. Second, this is her expression when we're really doting on her. This expression is often accompanied with, "Emme's a princess" or "Thankee, mama" or "I want jelly beans". I sometimes worry that I'm spoiling her too much because this look works so well. Third, this look is just plain silly. She makes a similar expression when she sees a bug--"Ewwwww, bug!"--or something else questionable. Fourth, that silly tongue out. Not a face that she makes often, except for if she is getting attention and she's being a little bit shy.
I cherish all of their little expressions. I hope that I can be present enough to really appreciate the treasure of being their mother.



0 comments:
Post a Comment