A Heartfelt Easter Weekend

Sometimes I feel like Easter doesn't get it's turn. Maybe it's because the spring season always feels busy to me, but Easter always kind of sneaks up on me. We had a wonderful Easter this year, and I felt the significance of the season more profoundly than I think I ever have.

I have been thinking a lot about death lately. A high school friend and his wife, Derek and Mary Staples, lost their perfect little Marjorie in January at 2.5 years old, and it has weighed heavy on my mind ever since. We were out running errands when I read the terrible news on Instagram, and from that moment on, something felt so unsafe to me about my life. The Staples are the kind of people who make the world a vastly better place and are clearly exceptional people, parents, and followers of Christ. When Marjorie passed away in the night of the flu, it broke my heart in so many ways and caused me to see my own children so differently. I try to grasp the meaningfulness of each day with them. I've always been terrified of losing my kids, particularly in their sleep, and so Marjorie's passing hit close to home. Since her passing, I think about the plan of salvation a lot more. It's such a joy to know that I am sealed to my babies and that they will be with me in spirit no matter what life brings.

Knowing the Staples' pain during this season and thinking about how Christ died for all of us and how this sweet little girl would be reunited with her family someday just made Easter more memorable than ever. Life is scary and unpredictable, and some of the most blameless and sweet people go through unimaginable suffering. I have felt of their loss so keenly, and have tried to use it as a way to strengthen my faith. Easter reminded me of how Christ has overcome all. The battle has already been won, but I just have to live now like I am always on his side. I'm so grateful for the boundless love that He brings into my life. I'll never understand how I deserve it, but I am so grateful. 

Despite my deep and serious feelings, Easter was a largely light-hearted holiday. We went up to Pine Valley to DSU's cabin up there as a family. It was truly so much fun, and we did fairly well with the kids and both dogs, though the dogs tried to run away on several occasions.

 

Saturday was rather eventful. We watched General Conference and then my mom's family came up for an Easter egg hunt. It is always so fun to get together with my family. There have been some real challenges for family members on my mom's side these past 6 months or so, and it always feels so good to come back together and reconnect.

We love Gramps and Grandma Chrissy. They are the best for making holidays so fun. So so much has changed since my beloved Granny passed away 15 years ago, but it is fun that we have reinvented some of her traditions in some new ways.

I sure love this family of mine. We're one crazy bunch.

Later in the afternoon, we flew kites. It's amazing how something so simple can be so darn fun. Emme was really enamored, but I think we were almost as much so. The day reminded me of being a little kid, fancy free on Easter.

General Conference, of course, was amazing. I feel like as an adult that it is this great spiritual feast that enriches my life so much. Saturday night was a strong spiritual experience, we all bore our testimonies and expressed our love for each other. Brad talked to us about his plans and dating and all that is changing for him now, and we gave lots of unsolicited advice. Just like I did when Brad first came home, I felt like a little kid. I love being a whole family unit again, and I'm sure I'll feel a void again when Amy leaves in a few months.

Sunday morning was very fun. Emme was exhausted and just would not wake up. The Easter Bunny had brought some fun stuff, and when she saw it, she was so excited.

 This second Elsa dress has shaped up to be a real treat because of the way it sparkles in the sun and casts little sequin reflections on the wall. Emme often says that she's thankful for "Elsa sparkles" in her prayers. That's how much she loves these silly dress ups.
 
 Nana and Amy spoiled her. (We were really missing Steph, who was in L.A. with David.) Amy even gave Em and Elsa braid, which she became obsessed with.

 I managed to snap some fast pictures when we were in the process of leaving. Shaye is always a bit cross with me when I snap pictures at inconvenient times--and who can blame him?-- but I was happy to get a few shots. (And though it makes for a less dynamic photo, Hudson really loves his new giraffie toy as well.)






0 comments: