It's about time for an update, I think! :) Thank you all for your recommendations to relieve nausea. I have tried each and every suggestion, and it pretty much seems random. Sometimes ginger or peppermint helps, and sometimes nothing helps. It has all stayed very manageable, though. I haven't thrown up once, so at its worst it's just been pretty bad nausea. I ended up telling my students 2 weeks ago because I was just not myself with being sick. I was nervous about sharing the news, but they were all very excited for me.
Here I am. I'm not really showing yet, but I definitely have a little pudge. :)
Even though being sick isn't fun, morning sickness has been a real blessing for me. When we found out that IVF worked, I was almost 4 weeks and then the first few weeks of pregnancy I was terrified of miscarrying. It felt so wrong to be so full of fear when I should just be feeling gratitude and I prayed to stop feeling so afraid. Heavenly Father answered my prayers through an unlikely answer; the nausea and exhaustion soon kicked in, and after that I didn't have a chance to be worried about miscarrying. The nausea is a constant reminder that my baby is strong and that this is going to work.
Now, here I am. Already finished with my first trimester! It's strange for me to think that this is the time a lot of people just begin to share their news, which makes my pregnancy seem extra long, but then I have to remind myself that we are not a normal couple and this is not a normal pregnancy. This baby has been prayed for and hoped for so long and by so many that my journey is likely to be a bit different.
We have been so blessed so far to have very few complications. Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with the baby, but when I was about 9 weeks I had this sudden sharp pain in my left side right over where I thought my ovary would be. I was worried that it might be twisted, which is something that can happen after hyper-stimulation with IVF. The pain was so bad I could barely walk, but after Dr. Lunt thoroughly checked me out, we found that there was absolutely nothing wrong. I was so relieved! I just had to take Tylenol for about a week and then the pain went away. Dr. Lunt thought it might have been from inflammation from my lovely progesterone shots in the hip. (Those are over now--thank goodness! :))
I am excited about my 2nd trimester. I'm starting to feel a lot better. I still feel yucky at times, but much better. I am also beginning to feel more connected to my pregnancy. I think there is a little bit of healing that has to happen after so many years of infertility. I got so used to disappointment that I built up emotional callouses, or something. Sometimes I have to remind myself that that struggle is over now and I'm moving onto a new challenge that is so much more productive. Sometimes I just want to pinch myself because we're so. very. blessed.
All is well at the Scotts and I'm looking forward to what's to come! :)

8 comments:
You know I had that same fear with both pregnancies. I remember especially having that fear with my first because I had a few siblings that conceived then miscarried, and couldn't get pregnant for years after that. I told my doctor about my concerns, and he looked me dead in the eye and said it will never go away. You are a mother now, and now your motherly instinct is kicking in. Your child can be 60 years old and you will still have some sort of fear for them. Just take care of yourself and you will do the best thing for you and your baby. I don't know why but that really helped me.That fear of miscarriage was still there, but it made me feel okay that it was "normal."
I am so happy for you Manda. No one deserves to be a mama more than you. You are going to be a fantastic mama. I was so excited that you updated. I am definitely following you through this pregnancy. You and your sweet family are definitely in our prayers.
You look gorgeous! We are so excited for you!
So happy for you! You look great! Hopefully nausea will subside and you'll enjoy your little miracle even more!
Ive been wondering when we would get to see the first belly shot :) Lookin good! Keep the updates coming!
Congrats on making it through the 1st trimester! The nausea only gets better from here. I'll make sure my dad takes extra good care of you. :)
I just love to read about your journey! I am so happy for you!
I want that shirt! You look great and I am so happy that you are feeling better. I look forward to hearing your updates!
I am so happy for you my dear! The second trimester is the BEST! The nausea goes away (hopefully), and you get to have that cute aw-look-she's-so-cute-pregnant belly before the oh-my-gosh-I'm-a-planet belly. Enjoy it!! You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment