Our Miracle!

Hello Friends,

First, I want to thank you all for the outpouring of love we have felt from you all over the last few months. It has been a challenging journey, but the blessings have far exceeded the trials.

All our dreams have come true. WE'RE PREGNANT! Needless to say, we're over the moon. We've known about 2 weeks, but it wasn't until today that I had my first ultrasound and we were able to see the baby's heartbeat. :) Here is our sweet little peanut...


I can't describe to you the amazing feeling of having our prayers answered. 5 years of hoping and fasting and praying has finally brought us a successful pregnancy. We know there is a long way to go, and we're still rather guarded as we know things can always change, but our hearts are just so full of gratitude.

Here is a little run down of what the past few weeks have been like. The week after the embryo transfer I spent tons of time in bed and I was really enjoying not feeling deathly ill like I did when I was sick with IVF. The second week after IVF was pretty rough, though. The wait was killing us, especially me. I ended up taking a pregnancy test when I was 8 days past my transfer date, or 13 days past ovulation. It was so weird because the whole night before I kept having these dreams about taking a test and it being positive. I woke up around 4 a.m. and finally took it, and sure enough, it was positive. We were cautiously excited. My hcg blood test wasn't scheduled until the next Monday, so I knew we'd have to wait it out a few days.

The day after I took the pregnancy test, the cramping in my ovaries came back with a vengeance and I got too sick to finish one of the classes I was teaching. I called my doctor and admitted to taking the pregnancy test (they get mad if you test too early) and they had me go in to take a blood test. My first hcg level came back at a 168, way above average. We were so excited that we decided to tell our families.

Telling my parents was so fun. We waited for them to get home from this banquet fundraiser, and we hung out at their house, our cover story being that I needed help on a sewing project. I told my parents, "we got some bad news today. I went in for blood testing early, and the doctors don't think IVF worked..." I paused for a second while my mom came over to hug me..." they KNOW it worked!" My family was so confused/ excited, and my little sister Amy was freaking out. It was so fun!

Two days later we did more blood work and my numbers came back at a 397, also way above average. My fertility specialist pretty much told me congratulations and to send him pictures, which I thought was a good sign! A few days after that I started getting morning sickness. I'm honestly not that bad. I feel nauseous most of the time, except for right after I eat something, but I know a lot of women have it so much worse than I. I'm still trying to figure out what will help me fight it off the most. It's all so worth it, but not particularly fun. So far I'm putting this ginger extract into Sprite and drinking it and trying to eat little meals all the time. I also just ordered these essential oils (Peppermint, Ginger, Lemon, and Lavender) that should help. Any other suggestions?

Having our ultrasound today was so reassuring. It was a little disorienting for me, just because I've had a hunch that we would get pregnant with twins from IVF, but I felt a great sense of peace and even relief when the ultrasound technician told us we're expecting one. Seeing that little heart beat flicker was truly amazing. Life is such a miracle and it's such a miracle to me to have life growing inside of me. Every morning I wake up and can't believe this is real. My due date is November 10. All our dreams have come true!

33 comments:

Amy said...

Amanda, I'm so excited for you! You will be amazing parents.

I found putting a little peppermint oil on my tongue helped with being nauseated. Ginger is also very good for nausea but I didn't try it.

Good luck!

mylyn wood said...

i am SO THRILLED for you both! So excited that a baby will be coming to you after all you've worked for! What a blessed baby to have you as parents!

p.s. I had dreams of positive pregnancy tests before I had Owen and it would make me so sad to wake up and think it wasn't true. Turned out to be true the whole time!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Andi said...

I actually just checked your blog earlier today to see if you had any news to share because I've been thinking about you and wondering what's going on.

I'm so happy you posted your good news! Congratulations!!! Isn't hearing baby's heartbeat for the first time the most exciting thing ever? It's completely magical.

You guys are going to be such great parents. Congrats, again!

Janae and Zach said...

So happy for you guys! I've been waiting for this post to come :) Hope all continues to go well for your lil family!

Riss said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've pretty much been checking your blog 3 times a day for the past 2 weeks haha. I'm so happy for you!!

thehaucks said...

Amanda we are SO HAPPY for you and Shaye! What a wonderful miracle!
Good luck with the sickness--that part is so hard. Just eat ALL THE TIME (which is the last thing you want to do!).
We love you!

Ron and Maggie said...

Confession... I just about cried.. I was holding them back! I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO EXPRESS HOW HAPPY I AM FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

I kept checking your blog for good news! I am sooo happy for you amanda!
You are going to be such a sweet and wonderful Mama!

As far as morning sickness goes.. it really helps to just go with what doesn't make you sick.Also you are already doing it but real ginger helps soothe it too. I drank lots of Canada Dry Ginger Ale cause its made with real ginger.

Etts a Beautiful Life said...

AHHHHHH! I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!

McKensi said...

ITS about TIME you posted this!!!! I am so happy for you:) every little thing about pregency is amazing... not always fun... but amazing. I can't wait to see how this miracle is going to change your life, it will be the best!!!

when ever you feel sick suck on a wintergreen lifesaver. Sucking on things helps a lot and the peppermint makes you feel so much better. Eat whatever sounds good! The one time in your life it won't matter. I was sick until the last week, so I hope you do much better. Also, if you can get protien down in the morning, it will really help.

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you guys. I hope that things continue to go well for you. Hearing the heartbeat is so much fun! I hope that you get feeling better soon. For some reason apples really helped soothe my stomach, and I ate like 2-3 (small ones) a day for the first trimester! Congratulations again! :)

McKensi said...

lol by the way... I kept checking pinterest seeing if you had pinned baby things lately!!! I"M SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS!

Melissa said...

So stinkin' excited for you and Shaye! What a wonderful blessing! You will both be amazing parents. Hope the nausea will stop soon. That's no fun, but I do have some oil for you that should help. I'll bring it by soon! Good luck!

Callahan's said...

What wonderful news!! We are SO super excited for you guys! You are going to be such an AWESOME mommy :)Congrats!

Christie Moss and Brenden said...

So excited for you guys! You wil be so cute pregnant can't wait to see the journey!

Rachel said...

This is the best news I've heard in a while! Words can't express how excited I am for you guys! Surely it's been a long road to get here, but it will just make it that much more worth it, right? I'll keep hoping/praying that the pregnancy goes off without a hitch! Love you!

The Smith's said...

This is the best news I had heard all day! I couldn't be more happy for you. I will pray that everything continues to go well. You are amazing and going to make the cutest mommy!!!

Katie said...

Oh Amanda!! I am SO SO SO happy for you guys! I have been thinking about you guys a TON the last few weeks and I'm so glad things turned out well! As for the morning sickness, the key for me was to never get too hungry. I kept goldfish crackers everywhere (I had a costco box in my car and in my desk at work). Saved my life, those goldfish did. It also gives you good practice for all the goldfish you'll be eating when you peanut is Milo's age. =) I love you to pieces, and I miss you. CONGRATULATIONS my dear!!

Katie said...

Oh and by the way, you better keep updating your blog. I'm pretty sure I've checked it five times a day for the last week waiting for news, and I'm going to want to see all sorts of updates!!

The Anderson's said...

Extremely excited for you guys!!! Jumping for joy excited!

For me, I just got rid of water till 2nd tri... gatorade, propel, pop, popsicles any other form of liquid I used instead. And prego pops work for some people? Best of luck with sickness though. It's tricky to find what works for you.

Madelyn said...

Yay! So happy for you guys. Excited to hear more about your journey.

Anjalique said...

I feel like crying! I'm so happy for you and Shaye! What a blessing and a true miracle. I'm very happy for you. :)

Todd and Jenny Condie said...

We are so grateful and excited for your miracle. We love you and know you will be wonderful parents.

Luikart Family said...

You are amazing Amanda! Can't wait to watch this transformation! You will be an amazing mom!

justinandash said...

I can't tell you how happy I am for you! You will be such a wonderful mother.

I got extremely sick while pregnant, and a lot of times nothing helps. Sometimes putting lemon in my water and drinking tons of it would help me. Even though this sounds weird, and you may not be able to eat it, cucumbers really helped me.

Good luck!!!

cjorvin@gmail.com said...

I AM SO EXCITED! I couldnt tell if no post was a good or bad thing. but I am so happy for you! I hope all goes well.

Tom and Juli said...

Amanda I can't even tell you how happy I am for you! Good luck with the pregnancy, I'm so excited for you to experience this journey. Keep us posted. :)

Madsen Updates said...

i actually squealed out loud as i was reading this!!!!! I AM SO SO EXCITED for you guys! That is incredible news!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

WAHOO!! I am so so so EXCITED for you guys! Is it corny that I teared up when I read you were pregnant?! I've been thinking so much about you lately and I am just SO thrilled for you, you will be an amazing mother. :)

R. Jordan & Whitney Layne said...

I'm so happy and excited for you two!!

Laura Edwards said...

I literally cried while reading your post. I'm so happy for you! Congrats!

Amelia said...

How on earth did I miss THIS news? I need to get your blog into my reader I guess. I kept checking back after the two weeks and when I didn't see a new post, I though no news must mean bad news. I can't tell you how ELATED I am to be wrong about that!

Jared & Kat said...

Amanda and Shaye! I am so excited for the two of you! I haven't checked blogs for a while so I know I am a little behind the fantastic news! I hope you have a great pregnancy and enjoy shopping and making all those cute things!

The Ramsay's said...

Amanda, this is such amazing news! I am so so so happy for you and your husband. Congratulations! You are going to be such an amazing mommy:)