Transfer Complete!

Hello Lovelies,

I have good news...I am feeling a lot better, and, most importantly, we were able to go through with the transfer Wednesday! YEY!!!!! We were so afraid the doctors wouldn't let us, even up until the last moment when the doctor did an ultrasound and found all this fluid trapped in my abdomen from my over-stimulated ovaries.

The transfer was such a beautiful experience and is hard to explain. The procedure is pretty uncomfortable, kind of like a pap smear on steroids that lasts 15 minutes, but they had me on Valium for it, so it wasn't so bad. The first thing they did was bring in a picture of our embryos. They let Shaye see it first. It was in a little card-stock frame like prom pictures are. I know it sounds so weird, but I feel so much love when I look at this picture. Even though it's just two little blastocysts (embryos that are beginning to separate into both baby cells and placenta cells), they hold the possibility of a future family for us.



Toward the end of the procedure, the Embryologist brought in our embryos in a tiny syringe. They injected it into a catheter that was placed in my uterus and I watched on the monitor as a tiny white dot (both of our embryos) embedded into my uterine wall. I was taken aback by the feeling of wonder and gratitude that I felt at the miracle of science. Even though we don't know what this experience will bring or what the outcome will be, it is definitely making us stronger people, and we are so grateful for the opportunity to try.

Here is a picture of me right after the transfer. I have my earbuds in because I'm listening to a guided meditation meant to relax me after the transfer. I've been listening to this program (which has different guided meditations for each day of the cycle) throughout the process and it's made so much of a difference because of how high stress this process is.


So for now I have what those in the infertility world call the 2ww (2 week wait). I'm trying to stay calm, relaxed, and open, but my mind definitely wanders. There are a lot of moments I feel really concerned just because I'm still feeling so ill, though overall I'm doing much better and eating again (HOORAY!). However, my lungs have been filling with fluid from the over-stimulation lately, which has caused me to cough a lot. Each time I cough, I worry. I try to remind myself that there are drug addicts and extreme athletes out there doing crazy things and these women maintain their pregnancies, but I still worry. I just don't want to do a thing wrong. I am on bed rest/ loaf around on the couch rest for 5 days, as my doctors suggested, and I'm drinking 64 ounces of Gatorade (and nothing else) to keep myself hydrated from my over-stimulation. I used to love a Gatorade after working out. I'm pretty sure I'll never want one again after this. Ever. :)

This experience so far has taught me so so much. It's brought Shaye and me so much closer. He's never had to be my caretaker before, and he's done it so brilliantly and been there for me at every moment. I've also learned a lot about suffering. I know that there are people out there going through things a hundred times worse than I, but this is the hardest thing I've ever done. There have been times when I have prayed for relief from pain and still been left to endure it for a long time. It has taught me that the core of myself is a lot stronger than I knew. I have also learned a lot about prayer. I've never been in a situation where so many were praying in my behalf, and it is an amazing feeling. It makes me feel the connectedness of what makes us brothers and sisters.

So, the waiting continues, my friends. We will know in about two weeks, and so I can assure you that we'll post on here then. (Really, how could we ever be one of those couples who waits until the second trimester? Once we planned to do IVF we knew that wasn't in the cards for us. :))

Love you all so much! Thank you for the love and support. It means more to us than you could possibly imagine!

21 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad you were able to do the transfer. Yes just take it easy, which is probably hard for you, but so worth it right!? Thanks for the updates

Melissa said...

Yay! So glad you could do it! You are such a strong person. Now just relax, you can do this. Still praying everything will work out. Best of luck!

McKensi said...

ahhhh! yeah! one more step down:) Im so excited for your new possibilities. lots of love and prayers!!!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

I was on pins and needles all day yesterday wondering if you were able to do the procedure. I'm so glad the transfer went well. I will continue to keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Ron and Maggie said...

The way I see it. If you do or don't for sure conceive you and those sweet babes need all the prayers you can get. My sister suffered for 13 years childless and just conceived she told everyone that meant something and we all prayed and prayed that all would go well. Same goes for you Amanda! You my friend are truly inspiring. I am praying like mad that everything will work out!!! Love you girlie

Camille said...

Amanda!! I am SO happy that you were able to do the transfer! I am still praying for you! I love you! I have faith that it will work out!

Riss said...

I'll be thinking/praying for you these next two weeks!!

justinandash said...

I am so glad they were able to do the transfer! I love that you're keeping everyone updated. We're definitely still praying for you.

R. Jordan & Whitney Layne said...

Oh this makes me so happy to read! Thank you for keeping us updated! Love you!!

Tresa Brown said...

Yay!!! Such wonderful news!! I keep thinking what a brave, beautiful soul you are!! Thanks for the updates and pictures, it is so fascinating!! Much love and prayers !!

Laurel said...

I have just been catching up on the latest with the IVF! You are so brave. Keep us posted!

-Laurel (Snow) Horchem

Madelyn said...

I love hearing your story. It is amazing what you are doing. Thanks for sharing. I will pray for you and your family.

Todd and Jenny Condie said...

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We love you so much and have you always in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Amanda, you are amazing! :) You are so strong and so incredibly inspiring to me and others. I'm sending love and prayers your way!

Christie Moss and Brenden said...

So excited for you guys. I blog stalk you often to see how things are going:) Not creepy at all right? Haha I hope all goes well and you get that's baby or babies that you so much deserve you will be an amazing mom!

Christie Moss and Brenden said...

So excited for you guys. I blog stalk you often to see how things are going:) Not creepy at all right? Haha I hope all goes well and you get that's baby or babies that you so much deserve you will be an amazing mom!

Andi said...

Good luck! You have such a great attitude and seem so strong about all of this. I couldn't handle it with the grace you do.

I'll be praying for you!

McCoy Family said...

I Love You Amanda! You are constantly in my prayers. Thanks for your example and for being such an amazing person. Can't wait to hear the news.

Amelia said...

What a relief that you were able to do the transfer, especially after all you went through to get to that point. I think the meditation thing sounds like a great idea. I'm so excited for you!

Katie said...

Amanda! I am so happy that it went okay! I'm praying for you and your little family!

Julie said...

I have been thinking about you tons! I hope you are doing well. Love you lots Amanda!