Read-A-Thon

Hi Everyone! I hope you're all doing well! I was just realizing something fun and kind of crazy that I wanted to share with you all. As many of you know, I'm a PhD student at UNLV (earning my degree in British and American Literature). This semester I am taking two classes, which is only part-time, and I have approximately 800 pages to read each week. That translates to 21 novels, and about 12,000 pages in all.

I guess when you're a grad student in Literature they want you to read a lot. Weird. :) It's a good thing I love it! I have to admit though, I do miss the Read-A-Thons in elementary school when I could wear my pajamas and read the Boxcar Children and eat Swedish Fish and M&Ms... No, grad school is much different than that!

11 comments:

thehaucks said...

You'll just have to get yourself some Sweedish Fish and M&M's!! Wow that is quite the load! Good luck!

bryce and paige said...

Wow Amanda! I hate to say this, but I'm kind of jealous! I caught a glimpse of some of those titles and some are the greatest books ever! I just don't envy the part where you have to write about all of them. Good Luck! i can't believe your getting your Ph.D. SO IMPRESSIVE!!! I'm rootin' for ya!

Bams said...

Mandi! I love this picture and the post! You are a darling, and I miss you!

Derek, Kenzee and Gage said...

Wow, that's LOTS of reading! I'm sure you are doing great with your classes though!

Cannon said...

This is perfect! A long time ago, I swore I'd read a list of 50 great American classics a teacher gave me. Maybe you can just relay me the Cliffs Notes version and call it good. Good luck!

The Colvins said...

Oh, reading those books look like so much fun! I think I'll head to the library this week!!

Rachel said...

I'm jealous too! Do me a favor, and create and post a list of all the awesome books you are reading on your blog. I'd love to know what you're reading so that I can read them and feel smart too. :)

The Weston's said...

I love it. I wish i had more time to read.

Clint and Angela said...

Wow, you amaze me! I miss talking to you all the time and being inspired by all that you accomplish!

Ron and Maggie said...

Yeah in grad school you can't hide under a blanket and giggle with your friends... you actually get graded. Oh my I admire you for being able to do that... I freak if I have to read 10 pages. ugh

Ron and Maggie said...

P.S. I think I might start calling you Dr. Scott that way... you'll get the idea of what its like to be a doctor, and it will give you motivation to keep chugging. You know, a light at the end of the tunnel