MLK Day!

Today I took part in a reading of some of my colleagues and my favorite African American authors in tribute of Martin Luther King Jr. It really got me thinking about what a wonderful country we live in. Though we have some terrible things in our past, like slavery and oppression, we have come so far from these stigmas.

As my colleagues read Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Bell Hooks, and Toni Morrison, I felt so much sadness for the suffering of the underprivileged; but at the same time so much gratitude to those like MLK who have helped us get where we are today! I hope that I can always be a facilitator of peace and tolerance in my words and actions and stand up for what's right like he did.

2 comments:

Breckan said...

Hey Amanda! I hope you don't mind I came across your blog... :) I love it! You've always been someone I've looked up to. I hope all is well! Ps. I think MLK was a great man, too. What a blessed Country we have.

Kaylee said...

Hey cutie! I told you I would leave a comment in efforts to better keep in touch. It was really great seeing you guys last weekend. We need to do that more often. Big tight hugs for you both!