Hello, it's me again...you might have thought I died in childbirth with how I've been (not) updating this blog! But no, life is actually wonderful. More than wonderful, actually. I am now back to blogging after a looooong hiatus. Here is Emmeline's birth story as I wrote it a few days after her birth (11/7/2012). (This is extremely long, so if you want the short version, just watch this AMAZING video Shaye made!)
As my due date approached, I began to feel a great sense of
urgency, like my time was running out. It’s strange looking back now, because
my priorities seemed all wrong. I was so concerned with getting as much of my
school work done as possible before our little darling’s arrival, and I knew
that things would be much more difficult to attend to once she came. The day
before I had Emme, I had a list of last minute errands to run, and I knew it was the last list of
essentials I had to complete before the baby was born. My sister texted me and
wanted to go to lunch, but I told her it was all business for me that day. I
had to get things done. Then, when I was at Walmart, all of the sudden I
started to feel really awful, like a had a really bad flu virus.
As soon as I got home, I laid down and stayed that way for
the rest of the night. I had a feeling that something was up because I’d never
had such odd stomach cramps like that. The fact that all this was
happening on election night is a bit humorous to me now. Perhaps all the
excitement threw me into labor. Shaye started watching the election returns and
I groaned each time a swing state broke for Obama. At about 8:00 pm I went on
a cleaning rampage, even with as awful as I felt. I marched around the house in
a daze, unable to concentrate enough to do anything productive and crying to
myself that our house wasn’t clean enough to bring a new baby home (too late!).
About 9:00 I started to notice that I was having pretty
regular contractions, about 2.5-5 minutes apart. I was really confused at first
because they had started so close together. I knew that dehydration could start
labor so I’d been drinking tons, but I still felt thirsty no matter what. After
my contractions had been going for a good hour and a half I told Shaye he had
to get off from playing X-box because I might be in labor. I have to admit that
part of me wondered if I was being dramatic—could labor really start this
quickly? I called my mom and dad and they agreed that it was worth checking in
to see what was up, and so we brought our two little doggies over to their
house. By the time we got to my parents, my contractions had gone from rather
uncomfortable to a bit painful and so I thought I must be progressing.
We checked into the hospital about 11:30 pm. By then we knew
which way the election had swung and so both of us (and especially Shaye) were
in a weird mixture of excitement, bitter disappointment (over the election),
and a bit of confusion over the whole labor process. They got us checked in and
the nurses were amazing,--so kind and thoughtful. They waited patiently each
time a contraction came on. My first nurse checked me at 11:53 and I was barely
at a 3. This was the first moment that I was pretty darn sure I would want to
epidural. The pains were still pretty bearable as long as I breathed through
them. The pretty blonde nurse told me that they wanted to watch me for an hour
and as long as I continued to dilate, they would keep me. Between this hour, my
contractions got worse and worse. After a little while, I started to feel
really awful and I told Shaye to grab the trash can. In it I threw up the only
snack I’d had since breakfast. I hardly ever throw up, and so I was pretty sure
that this was a sign of transitioning into more active labor.
Sure enough, my contractions started to get more intense.
When my nurse asked me, in the middle of a contraction, if I was wanting the
epidural, I heard myself answer "yes" before I had even realized it. As I’d labored
up until this point I had realized that I had a clear choice to make. I knew
that I could go natural and that it would likely be a spiritual and very difficult
experience, or I could opt for a more peaceful, medicated birth. The second
just felt like the right choice for me.
When the nurse checked me again, she saw that I was a 4.5
and told me that I was staying at that hospital and having a baby! I was kind
of in disbelief. Shaye kept saying how different labor was from how he had
pictured; there was so much waiting. We called my mom and at this point and she
and my sister arrived just as they transferred me into another room where they
could give me an epidural. This room was different from the room I’d initially
been checked into, which was designed for natural birth. The first room had zen-like
green walls and peaceful artwork; the epidural room had stark white walls and
more of a sterile feeling. By now I was also shaking a whole lot, and theses
shakes continued on for quite awhile. People kept asking if I was cold, but I
think it was just the adrenaline and excitement.
While walking to the new room, I had 3 strong contractions, and by
now it was starting to reach my pain threshold. For some reason the
contractions standing up were most difficult, I handled them much better
sitting Indian style on the bed. In my new room I had a new nurse, Melissa. She
had little brown hair pulled back and wide gray eyes. She was so calming and
honestly made the whole birthing process so much better. When my contractions
got painful, she would push on my knees or my lower back to ease the pain. It
made a HUGE difference and basically cut my pain in half.
Pain with labor was one of the most spiritual things I had
ever experienced. I had read a mom describe labor as the most beautiful pain
she had ever felt, and that’s how it was to me. The pain of the contractions
flooded my whole body, but I felt my mind float above it all. Heavenly Father
immensely blessed me to have such a positive birth experience, and I felt that
was especially true as I was laboring before the epidural.
When they checked me
again only an hour later I was a six and a half and the pain was definitely
worse. I just focused on the Lamaze breathing, though, and felt the love of my
nurse and the kindness in her wide eyes as I breathed. My mom and Stephanie were
there stroking my back and my hair, and I could see Shaye’s calming face at my
side, so concerned but peaceful and reassuring.
When my nurse saw that I was a six and a half, I was shocked
when she said that my epidural would come in the next half hour or so. I had
heard so many situations when moms had to wait and wait, and so it was
wonderful news. Dr. Fayre was in about a half hour later and gave me my
epidural while I breathed through 3 contractions. I was so proud that I could
sit perfectly still despite the pain. I felt so out of my body through the
experience, and I think a lot of this was due to some careful studying I had done
of hypnobirthing techniques when I was unsure of whether I wanted to go natural
or not. Throughout my pregnancy I had trained myself to relax when I felt pain
and I did this throughout the birth and thought of the pain as a beautiful threshold
I was crossing through to reach Emme. I almost felt guilty accepting the
epidural because I knew beyond a doubt that I could handle the pain, but the
question of how long my labor could last and the uncertainty of how pushing
would feel was enough to turn me to modern medicine.
The epidural was wonderful. It was perfect because I could
feel all the pressure of my contractions but none of the pain. I expected to
feel totally disconnected to my body, but instead I felt very attuned. Once the
epidural kicked in, everything slowed way down. By then it was about 2:30 or so
and I sent my mom and sister home because I thought it would be awhile. Shaye
got a little sleep, but I didn’t sleep a wink. It felt like every Christmas Eve
of my life rolled into one. I stared at the monitor in the darkness and thought
about all that we had gone through to get to this point. All of the
heartbreaking negative pregnancy tests, all of the lonely moments when I felt a
world away from the life I really wanted, all of the planning and hoping that
we were never sure could be fully rewarded.
I laid there trying to memorize the feeling of being
pregnant because I wasn’t sure if I’d ever experience that unfathomable
blessing again. I tried to imagine that fullness of a tight womb right below my
heart and the delicious feeling of the baby’s kicks and turns and hiccups. I
tried to memorize the way I felt about my body. Sure, I’d felt self-conscious
about gaining weight, but I’d never felt so beautiful or alive to be creating
life within me. All of the anger and betrayal I had felt with my body had been
regained through my pregnancy and even my labor up until that point.
I prayed
and talked with my loved ones that I knew were there on the other side of the
veil. I tried to enjoy each passing moment and tried to imagine the moment of
meeting Emme. I feel sheepish saying this now, but I even had the strange fear
creep up that she would come out a boy. Not that I wouldn’t love a boy just as
much, but that we would have nothing to dress him in if it were a boy. These
precious last few hours of my labor were a full-circle moment for me. So
special and intimate. I could feel the thin-veil in that room. It was a feel
quite similar to when I am in the temple. I felt so at home and so fearless and
loved.
A few disconcerting things happened as my labor progressed.
The baby slept a little too much, as is common with the epidural, and so I had
to keep shifting side to side and wear an oxygen mask; the latter really did
the trick and perked her right up, thank goodness! Before long, Melissa checked
me again and saw that I was at a 9.5 and that my water still hadn’t broken.
They laughed at how much the sack was bulging. By then it was 5:00 am or so and we
called my mom and she was there just as Dr. Lunt arrived and broke my water. In
no time at all, the baby had crowned and I was ready to push.
When all of the delivery nurses came in, I was a bit
shocked. This was it! It just got real for me! As I began pushing, I was surprised
at how exhausting it was although I felt no pain. I felt confused at how to do
what they were asking; it honestly didn’t feel very instinctive to me. I felt
pressure, but not a crazy urge to push like I expected. When I did push, the
nurses offered all kinds of confusing metaphors, but through trial and error, I
felt like I got the hang of it by contraction 3. By the 5th
contraction, she was nearly out and I reached down to touch her sweet head. I
was amazed at how warm and soft it was. I contracted again, but Dr. Lunt wasn’t
quite in position, so I didn’t push, with my next contraction, the baby slid
right out. All I gave was a tiny push and she was here!
Dr. Lunt held up Emme and she made a tiny hiccup sound. They
agitated her for a moment and then I heard the most beautiful cry ever. I soon
forgot, however, that she had cried at all because she immediately became very
quiet. They put her on my chest immediately as they waited for the cord to stop
pulsing. Emme was so alert from the start and looked all around the room. They
lifted her for a moment again and Shaye cut the cord. When they put her back
down on my chest, she stared at me with her beautiful dark eyes in such a knowing
way. She was so calm. Her expression was if to say, “I’m here, mom! I told you
I would come.” My whole life changed so quickly. I felt this indescribable
connection with her almost instantly. My spirit knew hers, and more than that,
she knew I was her mom. I sobbed and sobbed. I just couldn’t believe she was
real and that our miracle had really happened.
After a few minutes, the sweet nurses cleaned Emme up a bit
and we had skin-to-skin. She was so soft and warm and a bit wet, and so relaxed
against me. Every time I talked, those in the room said she tried to look up at
me. Because she was nestled right under my chin, I couldn’t see for myself.
Soon I could hear the voices of my dad, Stephanie, and Jeffrey in the hallway.
It took Dr. Lunt a good 20 minutes to stitch me up and Emme got a nice bath.
She didn’t make a peep that whole time nor for several more hours. Once I was
all stitched up, my family came into see her and my dad bawled like a baby when
he saw Emme.
Shaye stayed a bit aloof with his camera at first. But he
kept kissing my forehead and lips. He didn’t have to be right there. I could
feel the connection that was now our family. He marveled at our daughter, but he also respected the sacred space of mother and daughter.
Soon we left that magical room and the nurses helped remove
the epidural catheter and prepare me for recovery. Every single nurse was
honestly so kind. I joked several times that I felt like I was at a day spa. I
felt the power of modern medicine through this all. I couldn’t have asked for
better care.
Once we were in our room, I spent every moment I could
drinking in all of Emme’s little details. Her beautiful thick head or hair, her
delicate little eyelashes and eyebrows, her darling button nose, and her sweet
Gerber baby lips. I was in a total daze. The nurses offered me tons of
information and I think I remembered a tenth of it. We had scads of visitors
and it was wonderful to share our angel with each new family member who
arrived. I think that first day my mom and dad both came 3 times each and my
siblings came a ton too. My grandma stood and rocked Emme for a good hour while
Shaye went and grabbed lunch. Even though I was starting to really feel those
stitches, I was on cloud 9.
That night came around and Emme was so good. I could hear
babies screaming down the hall and she didn’t make a peep all night. I nursed
here 3 or 4 times and she snuggled in my arms. It was very serene. I felt bad
for Shaye in those terrible cots they have. I think it was hard for him to
enjoy the first day with Emme just because he was so terribly uncomfortable. He
held her as much as I would let him, and she would just stare up at her daddy.
So sweet!
The hospital stay was really pretty comfortable for us. The
nurses were so sweet about helping me and cleaning up after me. The food was
reasonably good, though I was hardly interested in eating at all. The nurses
fussed over Emme and whenever they took her out to test her, I felt really
comfortable with them having her.
When it came time to go home, I dressed her in the same
outfit my mom had taken me home in. It was such a sweet moment. Emme looked so
darling in the little dress and the bonnet and booties I had crocheted for her.
I couldn’t believe we were taking home our little miracle. It took us quite a
while to check out. We heard that if we paid for Emme before we checked out
that we would receive a huge discount. What would have cost us $4k only cost us
$1,100—amazing!
I sat with the baby in the back seat and watched her little
face. It was clear that she didn’t mind her car seat and she didn’t mind the
car either. Just as we were leaving, Stephanie called to ask where our broom
was, and told us that she had been cleaning our house. We were so touched! When we drove down to the house passed the school, I could see pink
streamers on our back wall on the corner. Steph greeted us and there was a beautiful “It’s
a Girl!” sign and streamers all over inside. I started blubbering when I saw
it, and then laughed, realizing how hormonal I was.
That first day, orienting myself with the baby felt pretty
second nature. I was amazed at the sacred feeling that immediately filled our
home. It is a purity I’ve never quite known before, and something that I’m
quite determined to preserve as well as I can. We are so blessed, it’s crazy!




10 comments:
I read every word of this. I love birth stories! It was so fun to hear everything you experienced. Isn't childbirth the most amazing thing in the world? I wish I could experience it a hundred times (just not have to have a hundred kids!) Thanks for sharing your beautiful story!
Oh I just loved reading that. Makes me think back to Miles and Gwen. I was trying to remember every detail, and they are starting to fade a little. You'll be so glad you've written it all down in great detail. It also makes me wish I felt as serene as you did. :) Maybe with another one someday!
I read every word!! I loved it! You described motherhood and coming into it perfectly. You took me back in time when my sweet babe was handed to me. One of the most next to marrying my husband spiritual most perfect moments of my entire life. You made me cry!
Ah I loved reading this. Thank you for sharing. Congrats on everythng and I know you are an amazing mother! I'm so happy for you!
Oh I'm glad you posted something! I'm glad everything with the birth went well! She is darling, and I'm glad you guys are happy and doing well.
Love your story, love your baby, love you!
I was worried that something horrible had happened when there was not an update! That is one of the bad things about only being in contact through blogs or other social media sites. I am so happy for you. She is lovely and so are you!
Oh Amanda, that was beautiful. You put everything perfectly, childbirth is an amazing experience. I am so happy for you. Also, I miss you. You have a beautiful little girl, and she has a beautiful momma. Love you!
What a beautiful story! I agree with Rachel--it's great to write it down right afterwards, because the details do start to fade...
I'm so happy for you both. :) Well, for you three!
--Anjalique
I love this account of Emme's birth. I'm so blessed to be her Nana!
I love you,
Mom
Post a Comment