The last few months we've been back in the process of fertility treatments, which is always a stressful, yet exciting thing for us. We've done 2 more rounds of artificial insemination (IUI) and both have been unsuccessful. The first negative was pretty rough for me. We kept it a secret from our families because we've been feeling a lot of pressure from them lately, but that ended up being an added stress to not have anyone to talk to about it. This second negative was not as bad. I think the first negative was the hardest because the last time we tried IUI over a year ago I miscarried. I guess deep down inside I really thought it would work the second time, which made it harder when it didn't.
Statistics say that if a couple doesn't get pregnant after 4 rounds than it isn't a likely solution, so we're going to try it one more time. I actually am really glad this chapter is coming to a close. Fertility treatments are always rough because they can be pretty painful with my endometriosis. But I feel at peace with the steps we've taken. If this next round doesn't work, then we're on to In-vitro. Even though it is ridiculously expensive ($12,000 a round), if it brings us our miracle, it's a sacrifice we're willing to make!
This whole process has really changed my perception of failure. Like most people, growing up I had disappointments, and moments when I felt a considerable loss in my otherwise happy, blessed life. Looking back on these moments, I can't help but laugh.Like the time I didn't make Jetettes and all of my friends did. I thought the world was over...
...Or the time I worked hard all summer and hoped to get the lead (Cinderella) in the school play, but ended up being an Ugly Stepsister. :) (It ended up being a blast, by the way.)
In the moment, these things seemed like a big deal, and later on, ended up being just a brief moment of change. Everything ended up turning out for the best.
But the last 4 and a half years have completely changed my perspective on failure. Up until when we started trying to get pregnant, I fully believed that I had control over my life and my destiny. If I ever failed at something it was because there was something inherently wrong with me or I hadn't worked hard enough. I didn't understand that "failure" is sometimes part of Heavenly Father's plan.

Well, after failing to conceive month after month after month for years, I've come to a new understanding about what failing is. I'm not a failure. I just have an element in my life that is outside of my control. Don't get me wrong, I've had days when I've felt bitter and angry and confused, but through it all I've come to accept that it's not my fault.

I believe we all encounter forces outside of our control in our lives. Things that we may not understand in the moment, but things that in retrospect make sense or serve a purpose. I know that our struggle with infertility will be like that someday. In the past I've asked questions like, "How can I be more righteous in my life so that Heavenly Father will bless me with a baby?" or "What traits is He waiting for me to develop so that I can be worthy to be a mother?" Now, I no longer blame myself for what is happening. I know that this challenge has nothing to do with me not being worthy or righteous enough. The hard things that we face are not God's way of punishing us, but His way of paying us a compliment--that he knows we can handle the difficulties life brings and that we can be further refined and become more like Him.

My new definition of failure: The only way I can truly fail in this challenge is by giving up or losing my testimony. All I can control is my attitude.
This I know for sure.
20 comments:
Thanks for sharing what you've learned. You are in my thoughts often.
Oh Manders, this post made my heart ache for you but at the same time made me so happy and proud for your attitude. I'm very much in awe of the way you choose to look at this challenge. You're doing a great job and I pray that these next treatments get a little miracle here. :)
You are such a sweetheart. I admire you in so many ways but your attitude is inspiring.
Amanda you're amazing. I always have this admiration for women like you and my sister. She is in the exact same boat as you. Her and Her hubby have been Trying for 12 years. Both of your attitudes astound me. I don't know if you know about this blog, but she's apart of that is called the sisterhood of support. It is a blog for women who are in the exact same circumstances and they talk to each other and help each other out. Maybe you should check it out? I know it helped my sister a lot.
here is the blog just in case you're interested... infertilesisters.blogspot.com
Amanda, You are so amazing. I know it has taken quite the journey to get there, but you are so strong and I couldn't be more impressed with your attitude. I hope it works out eventually. Best Wishes - Nicole
wow! perfectly said! i love this post!!! you are incredible, and will be such an amazing mother someday.
It really makes you wonder what he has planed for you:) Now if you already knew it would make things so much easier! I agree with everyone, you will make the most AMAZING mother someday, no matter how it happens. Children are an amazing gift, and how they come to us sometimes is the amazing part. Keep up the good attitude, you guys are always in our thoughts and prayers:)
Thanks for sharing this post. It helps put things into perspective. We all have huge struggles in our lives, some more obvious than others, but we are all given some crappy situations that can be blinding sometimes. I admire your strength and love. Thank you. Your testimony of this trial has strengthened me in ways that I won't explain on the internet :) But just know that your thoughts have made a difference in someone else's life today. Thanks!
Love you guys!
Amanda. I love you. I love your example. I know you will be a mom someday and yes you will be the most perfect mom. I am sorry to hear about this. I will continue to pray for you.
You're amazing, AManda! Hang in there! We love you!
You probably don't remember me but we were in the same college married ward for a while. I went to your blog through a friends, and read your post on infertility. My husband and I are going through similar things, and your post helped me realize that I am not the only one who feels those same things. Thanks!!
Finding peace before motherhood was a great blessing in my life. It will be in yours as well. The future is filled with hope. Remember, I started out with three failed IUIs, & five years of infertility...but soon I'll have four children. You just never know!
I admire your attitude and perspective! You're amazing.
So I just stumbled upon your blog (through a friend's) and your post really touched my heart. My husband and I have been struggling with the exact same thing. And funny thing is- your infertility sounds so much like mine. It's comforting to know that there are others out there- and I hope you don't mind that I read about your personal life, but you really lifted my spirits tonight :) Thank you so much for your comforting words about God's plan. I needed it.
Amanda!
I found your blog on Chris & Jess's, hope you don't mind my adding you :) You have always been such an inspiring person to me through your music, poise and words. I just want you to know that even if this post was for yourself, it's touched other's in ways you couldn't possibly imagine. You really are an amazing, beautiful person :) I really hope the best for you and your husband!
You amaze me Amanda, you are truly amazing!
My daughter went through the same thing. After countless surgeries, a private adoption just happened out of the blue. Within 3 months of the adoption process she had a positive pregnancy test. She now has two girls 5 months apart and a little boy who came two years later and they weren't trying. I really believe that Kenlee needed to be in our family first before the others could come. Keep up the faith.
there aren't any other words but beautiful to describe this.
p to the s, endometriosis is a beast, right? eesh. i am sorry you have to experience this, but you do with grace.
I've gone over this a lot in my own life for the same reasons.
You are NOT a failure.
Infertility does NOT mean anything about YOU.
I know you can say these things to yourself over and over and over again until you're blue in the face.
Failure is when you stop trying.
Failure is deciding "I'm going to lie down and die in this."
Failure is knowing, in your heart of hearts, what Heavenly Father wants you to do and you don't do it because you don't want to, you're too afraid or you'd rather wallow in self pity.
Being angry is not failing.
Being hurt is not failing.
WANTING to give up is not failing.
Infertility is not failure. Infertility is being promised a miracle. Because your heart aches for your child and Heavenly Father will one day fill your arms despite EVERYTHING the rest of the world tells you is working against you.
Remember that some of the most righteous women in the scriptures were infertile. And they were promised they'd be the mothers of millions.
Keep going.
You can do this.
Post a Comment